Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Washington DC Day four

We were at Capitol Area Food Bank today. It was such an eye opening experience. We sorted food, hygiene products and household items and packed them into boxes. It made me realize how fortunate I am to be able to go to a grocery store and pick out the items I want. The people who receive these boxes don't get to pick the flavor or brand of the items they receive. They might not even like they type or food they get, but that's all they have so they have to deal with it. I am lucky enough to be able to go to a grocery store and pick out exactly what I want. Who knew it was a privilege to go shopping for everyday items?

On a different note, I had so much fun working with everyone today. We kept our energy and productivity up for six fun hours. It was great to work as a team and through this I got to know everyone better.

We are having a great time here. A little sleep deprived, but we're getting used to it. We're looking forward to our next volunteer experience to help other people and learn more about the problems some people face on a daily basis.

Overall, this is such a wonderful learning experience that I know we are all enjoying!


Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

1 comment:

  1. It's great that you folks are doing this! Speaking of food pantries, I learned just in the last couple months that Oshkosh has a food pantry besides Father's Carr's:
    http://svdposhkosh.org/communitypantry.html

    Cynthia (Polk Library)

    ReplyDelete